Rhetorical Analysis

Languages don’t just exist in one form or language; they come in many forms and should all be accepted by everyone. Everyone shouldn’t be oppressed because they speak English differently or poorly. The purpose of this is to not only to help my classmates and teachers but also anyone who speaks English or any other language they are not exceptional at. Additionally, for those who do speak “perfect English” and those that judge and treat others as insignificant and low. As part of this genre, I’ve provided my own meme regarding the issue of why we shouldn’t discriminate against people who don’t speak flawless English, and why it’s okay to not live up to society’s standards of perfect; a specific type of English and to not put them down because of it. Since so many people do not speak perfect English, this topic is essential for others to consider because the harsh reality is, that those who do not speak perfect English aren’t treated equally to those who do. This is the world we live in and the objective is for that to change. Using pathos and logos as a lens to view this matter, I wanted to share hindsight on this subject. In terms of the meme I created, I believe that logically there’s no reason to discriminate against those who speak broken English over those who speak it well, as they do nothing but attempt to communicate in English. To appeal to pathos, I created a lighthearted, funny meme, not aiming for seriousness but just for fun. To share with everyone, I wanted to emphasize the importance of not devaluing those whose English isn’t perfect, but rather accepting everyone’s English, regardless of its style. It was my intention to create a meme that would hold a message and also create humor to encourage English and non-English speakers to stop judging and discriminating against others for little things, such as their ability and English type. By creating memes that are more lighthearted, the message can be more easily conveyed because we aren’t bombarding the viewer with forceful messages and persuasion, but instead engaging and capturing them. We should embrace and accept all the world’s Englishes.